Contact Information 

Hanover Borough Office 
118 Carlisle Street, Suite 300
Hanover, PA 17331 
(Free parking available in rear of building)
Phone: (717) 630-8942
Fax: (717) 630-9731
Mon-Fri 8:30 – 4:00pm.

Shrewsbury Township Satellite Office
Shrewsbury Township Building, First Floor Conference Room
11505 Susquehanna Trail South
Glen Rock, PA 17327
Phone: (717) 630-8942
First Tuesday of each month: 9 a.m. to noon, and by appointment.

Capitol Office
Room 123A, East Wing
PO Box 202169
Harrisburg PA 17120-2169
Phone: (717) 787-4790
Toll-Free: (855) 282-0612 
 

House Sends Klunk Collaborative Law Bill to Governor
6/25/2018
HARRISBURG – The House on Friday approved on concurrence an amended bill authored by Rep. Kate Klunk (R-York) to create a uniform framework for the practice of collaborative law, which speeds up costly and emotionally-draining civil court proceedings, such as divorce. Klunk’s House Bill 1644 now goes to the governor for his signature.

“Though collaborative law is already practiced by some attorneys in the state, my legislation lays the guidelines to create uniformity in the law community,” Klunk said. “Collaborative law has a proven track record of successful outcomes, including reconciling marriages when used in divorce cases. The process also helps free up our courts.”

Divorce proceedings that follow collaborative law, have a 93 percent success rate. Of the remaining 7 percent, 5 percent of cases ended because couples decided to remain married and the other 2 percent were resolved through traditional litigation.

Collaborative law is a voluntary alternative dispute resolution process for parties to have legal matters resolved outside the courtroom. Cases in which the process is used include family law, business law and estate distribution.

One of the hallmarks of collaborative law is that parties are individually represented every step of the way by counsel dedicated not only to their respective clients’ interests, but also to resolving the dispute without resorting to litigation. Additionally, parties agree that, should they fail to negotiate a resolution, they will each be required to retain new counsel for any subsequent litigation.

“This process allows parties to settle their disputes in a respectable manner and with dignity,” Klunk said.

Klunk’s bill was amended in the Senate to include aspects of House Bill 781 to modernize the Uniform Arbitration Act.

Representative Kate A. Klunk
169th Legislative District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives

Media Contact: Greg Gross
717.260.6374
ggross@pahousegop.com
RepKlunk.com / Facebook.com/RepKlunk


Share |